1. Vegetarians are smarter.
British research shows a correlation between IQ and vegetarianism. The smarter a child, the likelier the child is to eventually shun meat as a young adult.
2. Vegetarians are slimmer.
Numerous studies, including those by the American Cancer Society and Oxford University, show that meat eaters are much more likely to be overweight than vegetarians.
3. Vegetarian meals actually BURN calories.
Researchers have seen an increase in calorie burn after vegetarian meals because plant-based meals are so rich in nutrients and fiber.
4. Veg-heads have beautiful, glowy skin.
Eating more produce = more antioxidants = improved circulation and healthier skin!
5. They just look BETTER.
Fresh, raw veggies are free of the nasty byproducts of cooking meat (check out advanced glycation endproducts). These byproducts cause premature aging and an increase in belly fat.
6. Aesthetics aside: vegetarians live longer.
A vegetarian diet reduces the risk of heart disease (the #1 killer of men and women) by a third.
7. Vegetarians are far less likely to get stomach, colon, pancreatic, breast, uterine, AND ovarian cancers.
Shout out to veggies for sponsoring a disease-free lifestyle!
8. Plus, vegetarians have better sex.
Plant-based diets boost hormone levels and libido.
9. Better and more frequent sex, that is.
Research shows that men who avoid red meat have more attractive body odor. Seriously. Vegetarians smell better.
10. Vegetarians lower the pressure meat production puts on our environment, locally and globally.
A recent United Nations report called "Livestock's Long Shadow" states that eating meat is "one of the... most significant global contributors to the most serious environmental problems."
11. They're literally saving the environment.
Eating meat causes about 40% more greenhouse gas emissions than all of the cars, trucks, and planes in the world- COMBINED.
12. Plus, vegetarians are keeping our land and water clean.
The urine and feces of the 10 billion animals slaughtered for consumption each year is contaminating our soil and water. The Environmental Protection Agency cites these animals as the largest polluters of U.S. waterways.
13. Vegetarians are caring and compassionate people who are taking a stand against the inhumane treatment of animals.
Remember the 10 billion land animals slaughtered each year in America alone? Nearly all of them are from factory farms, which are overcrowded and stressful environments. They are tortured, maimed, mutilated, and live in their own urine, feces, and vomit.
14. Vegetarians don't eat dogs. Or chickens.
Chickens are smarter than cats and dogs. They're able to solve complicated problems, demonstrate self-control, and they worry about the future. They even like television and music!
15. Vegetarians also don't eat three year olds.
Pigs can play video games. They're smarter than three-year-old humans.
16. Vegetarians get more than enough protein in wholesome, natural foods.
Researchers at Harvard found that vegetarians eat enough protein in foods like lentils, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and soy products. The American Dietetic Association reports that a vegetarian diet provides TWICE the amount of protein we actually need.
17. Not only are vegetarians saving the environment and animal lives, but taking a stand against global poverty.
The amount of land, food, water, and energy that the meat industry uses could be used to grow food for all of the starving people in the world.
18. Not convinced that vegetarianism is the way to go? Research shows that vegetarians tend to be happier.
British research shows that vegetarian diets result in more energy, calmness, and general happiness.
19. How could we not be? We get to eat the most delicious foods, cruelty-free.
Caaaarbs carbs carbs.
20. Like... what more do you need?
Nothing. Nothing else.
21. Looking for more resources on how to live a happy, healthy, cruelty-free life?
Check out goveg.com for a free vegan starter kit.
22. Good luck!